JB and I don't leave our kids much. We just don't go out. I mean, probably less than 6 times a year. I don't really think that's the best practice, but it is just what we've done. We'd like to go out more, have a weekend away now and then, but it's never really worked out for us. We've never had family in the area and we've never really had sitters. (I could really go on and on and on and on about people who are blessed enough to have family around them (grandma, grandpa, mom, dad, sister, aunt, niece, etc.) Lord...you are SO lucky!!!
When we just had Walker, we did have more time. He had a friend (and we were close friends with his parents) and they started sleepovers when they were about 4. Since Sister came along, making arrangements for a sitter was just too difficult. She didn't care for anyone! Also, since JB and I both work, we've always felt that our kids spent enough time away from us and we wanted to spend our evenings and weekends with them.
A couple of years ago, we started occasionally using one of the girls at DG's day care to sit. Walker and Sister both loved her. We've used her for one weekend trip to the OU/TX football game and we trusted her. She's also been our house sitter for the last couple of years. Last fall, we made arrangements to go out of town for a weekend and have her babysit. We were leaving Saturday morning and she cancelled on Friday night, saying that she thought we changed our minds (we confirmed twice that WEEK) because she was driving some friends to KS. WEEKEND ruined!
About a month later she was very remorseful, she apologized and asked if she could sit for us again. We decided to go to Dallas for NYE and we asked her to stay with the kids. Everything worked out perfectly! Our Dallas friends asked us to go to Cabo in April and we asked "our sitter" to watch the kids. "Sure...No Problem...I'd love to." We haven't had a sitter since NYE, but we have been in regular contact to remind her about watching the kids in April.
Well, guess what???
She texted John today to CANCEL!! SERIOUSLY!!
Almost totally ruined my day, but at least we have time (unlike last time) to work on a back-up plan. I am going to Cabo with my husband. (Period!) I'm over being mad at this poor, irresponsible young lady. I'm just disappointed and I'm done.
As my dad said tonight, "Just cross her off your list and move on." DONE!
13 years ago


That's horrible!! At least it wasn't the week before you left.
ReplyDeleteI'm very thankful we have family close by to help watch Bennett from time to time. Never take it for granted!!
UGH!!! How frustrating!!! Do you have a professional nanny service in your area? I know several of my friends have used one here in Tyler & have been pleased. Good Luck! You MUST make that trip!!!
ReplyDeleteWell, I don't know if I can manage the kids while you're in Cabo, but I'd be glad to watch them while you and John have a night out. After all, I am technically family and we do technically live in the same general area. Call me! I'll watch your babies! It'll have to be at your house though until we exchange our tiny house for a larger one. I think our house has reached its capacity!
ReplyDelete