Monday, February 14, 2011

The Red Envelope

I got a red envelope in the mail today.

Not that unusual, right?  It is Valentine's day, after all, and millions of red envelopes arrived in mailboxes today. 

I was surprised to recognize the handwriting.  That almost-unrecognizable-handwriting. 

I don't think he's ever sent me a Valentine before.  Oh, over the years, I'm sure he's signed them.  But, I do not believe he has ever gone to the store, purchased a Valentine for me, addressed the red envelope and put it in the mail.

He did that this year.  



He lost his Valentine two and a half months ago.   It's probably not an easy holiday for him.  Yet, he took the time to send me a red envelope because he wanted me to know how much he loved me.  It means more, to both of us, than it ever has before.  

"Much Love to my #1 Daughter - YLF"  (his signature:  YLF=Your Loving Father)

It made my day.

It also made me cry. 


4 comments:

  1. That is so sweet. A special dad you have !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1:53 PM

    That is really sweet, especially this year.

    I just wanted to take a moment to comment and let you know I read every day. I know it can be hard to stay motivated, but keep it up!!

    (Anne's East Coast Amiga)

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG! It made me cry!!! So Sweet....

    ReplyDelete