Thursday, January 13, 2011

Geography is HARD!

Geography is hard.

I mean, it's really hard! 

In fact, I think (like so many things) it actually gets harder the older I get! ;-)  So, if that theory holds, 5th graders should be really good at it.  Right? 

Today, we had the honor of watching our boy compete against seven of his school mates in his school's Geography Bee.  I'm not the only one that thinks Geography is hard.  Those folks at National Geographic have figured that out too.  (So my memory gets worse the older I get, but I think that is who they said creates the rules, etc.)

You see, unlike the Spelling Bee where you get kicked out after one miss, in the Geography Bee you actually can get two wrong before you sit down. 

SEE, they know!  They KNOW!  Those "Geography People"...they know that GEOGRAPHY is HARD!!

Well, he made a great showing....


You think I was very proud during the introduction? 

"Seriously?  Can you please repeat the question?"

...he didn't win.  But, it really didn't matter.  He was so proud and he was so excited...just to make it to the all-school competition.  And, we were over-the-moon for him!  (Those that know him, know he's terribly bright but he's really struggled with the structure of school.  I'm so thankful that he goes to the best.elementary.in.the.state!  He's come SO FAR!  My heart just swells....)

By the way, his mother (who ain't the dullest knife in the drawer) didn't know the answer to EITHER one of the questions he missed.   SO.THERE!


3 comments:

  1. Way to go WB!!!!

    What was the question he missed? Sadly I have a BS in Geography. And just so you know I'm not kidding, I really do have a degree in this crazy subject.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go WB! But I'm with you, Leigh - geography is not my strong suit :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh My Goodness!!! Geography is really hard. We're learning all 50 states & their facts right now. I'm re-learning while my kids learn...how sad is that! Great pictures! Great Job!

    ReplyDelete