I'm not sayin' I have any expertise, but I do think I'm about to graduate elementary school. I don't even have a good example of what a "good" cookie looks like, I have learned a lot and can tell you a thing or two and show you what you don't want a sugar cookie to look like. I'm still searching for the perfect recipe, so if you've got a good one, lay.it.on.me...NOW!
Anyway, the first recipe (that I tried twice) was mentioned in multiple cookie forums a a "no fail" recipe. Well...it was a fail for me. Those things were hard as a rock! Even the boy wasn't interested! The flavor isn't bad, but the cookie is heavy..too heavy for me. The heaviness is probably why it seems to be favored by professional bakers who pack and ship cookies.
The next recipe was one my mother used....less flour...another egg....same result. Ugh.!
The third recipe has been a favorite for years. It tastes great! It is an old Betty Crocker recipe that you can find widely posted on the Internet as Mary's Sugar Cookies. It is light and soft, but the edges aren't as sharp as you want for iced cookies. However, it's a good choice for pre-made or butter cream frosting. Love the almost flavor.
So, here's what I've learned so far:
1. Parchment paper! OMG! I'll never mix or bake another cookie without it. (That is until someone buys me a few of these.) Perfectly done, perfectly golden...perfect! I got a hundred 1/2 sheets, which fit cookie sheets, for around $3.50.
2. Flourless rolling!! (Refer to #1) After you've finished mixing, take about 1/3 of your dough and place it between two sheets of parchment paper. Then, just roll it on out. No flour...no flour on the counter...no flour on the rolling pin. NO FLOUR! Take all of your rolled dough and place it on a cookie sheet....
and finally...
3. FREEZE! Everyone agrees that this type of cookie dough requires refrigeration, but most folks put the chill on before they roll. But really..roll first, refrigerate second. SO much easier...way less messy! (Refer to #2...No flour!!) Refrigerate or freeze, either way you are wanting to firm the butter so that your cuts hold their shape.
Finally...here's what you DON'T want your cut-out sugar cookies to look like:
Oh, the embarrassment! Notice the cracks...the horrible rounded edges! Uhm...and the shape...that WAS supposed to be an Easter egg!! WTH happened in that oven!! LOL!
And don't even let me get started on Royal Icing!
It's gonna get better folks...it has to get better!
(Is anyone tired of this hobby yet?)



Spend the money on the silpat pads. It really does make a difference. What kind of baking sheets are you using? My are the professional ones from Williams & Sonoma. Also you always want your pans to be at room temp. before placing the cookies on to bake. I always refigerate my dough before rolling them out. Then once rolled out I put them back in the fridge for several hours or even sometimes overnight.
ReplyDeleteI use the recipe all the time and haven't had any cracking.
http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/basic-sugar-cookies
As for royal icing you will find air temperature and humidity will really affect the consistency. I don't do as many cookies in the summer because the heat & humidity affects the meringue powder.
OK, so I don't know squat about cookies because I didn't realize it was a no-no to have cracks in the cookies! HAHA that actually looked pretty good to me...not so much an egg, but a good looking cookie!
ReplyDeleteSee I learned something!
Love reading about baking. Keep it up!
ReplyDeleteThanks for the tip on parchment paper. Been baking for years and have never tried it. I've heard those mats are great though.